Spring into Family Wellness
Sioux City, IA - By Erik Nieuwenhuis MS, PT St. Luke’s WorkSmart and WELLness Services
Wellness in action knows no age limits! Even though the 100 Day Live Healthy Siouxland Wellness Challenge ended in late April, it’s vital to keep motivated and energized. Lifestyle changes are much easier to accomplish when you have the support of loved ones. This month, I’d like to remind you and your family of some great ideas for making wellness a family affair.
• 1) Eat Meals Together---As many families know, finding time to spend together can be very challenging. Sitting down together for a meal is a wonderful and powerful habit to work towards. It provides a great opportunity to talk, listen and enjoy each other’s company.
• 2) Get 30+ Minutes of Physical Activity and Play---This is one of the most important habits to make a regular part of your daily routine. You’ll be able to think better, stay focused at work, home and play, improve your self-esteem, lose weight or help you maintain your weight, and have fun!
• 3) Go to the new Sioux City Public Museum---Or, check out other fun activities including the Omaha zoo, Stone State Park or take a walk along the riverfront.
• 4) Take a Walk or Bike---Walking or biking together as a family is a wonderful habit to do together during the spring and summer months. Walking is still the best activity for all ages to get your blood flowing while enjoying nature, the outdoors and the company of loved ones.
• 5) Watch a Movie---Enjoy a good family film in Grandview Park this summer. Make some popcorn and enjoy the night.
• 6) Get Enough Rest--- Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep per day. Also, keep your sleeping environment uncluttered, dark, quiet and cool.
• 7) Pack a Healthy Lunch---As parents, you are your children’s best and number one role models for preventing chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Pack sandwiches with whole wheat bread and healthier snacks like carrots, green peppers, celery, raisons, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, cheese, apple, grapes, bananas and water.
• 8) Read a Book Together---Reading a great book can be one of the simplest pleasures of life and a great way to exercise your mind and increase your learning. Select something the whole family can enjoy and read a portion of it aloud each night (at meal times or before bed are also wonderful times for this activity).
• 9) Plan a Picnic---Plan for a sunny day and pack a well balanced meal for the whole family. Then, head to a park in Siouxland and bring along a Frisbee or football for extra fun.
• 10) Take a Family Vacation---Getting away from work and home for a couple of days is always a treat, and a wonderful stress reliever. Plan for a fun and affordable getaway where you and your family can rest, relax and escape your busy schedules.
1) National Mental Health Association Website www.nmha.org
2) Better Sleep Organization website at www.bettersleep.org
3) Personal Best Calendar “Health in Action” May 2011 www.personalbest.com
# # #
About St. Luke’s:
St. Luke's Regional Medical Center is a community hospital serving the tri-state Siouxland area. Our focus is - and will always be - patient-centered care to improve the health of the people of Siouxland. With 1,200 employees and nearly 85,000 patients cared for annually, St. Luke’s is an anchor of support for the Siouxland community.
St. Luke's offers full-service healthcare with a range of inpatient and outpatient services, specialty and family healthcare clinics, and healthcare screenings and community benefit programs. St. Luke's is also planning for the future of healthcare through its affiliation with St. Luke’s College. With a strong focus on safety and quality, St. Luke’s has built a long-standing reputation of improving lives through advanced treatment and health education.
For more information, visit www.stlukes.org.